It’s the last day of January 2012 and how are you at keeping up your health and fitness promises to yourself? Are you still striking while the iron’s hot or have you begun to lose some steam? Either way here are a few tips to keep you on track through February and maybe till the beginning of Summer when you get that second wind of motivation to get more fit! (You know why!)
A. Realistic goals are great because they actually can become real… it’s in the word! So now that you have this realistic goal, do you have a plan to get there? If Yes, then work your plan and work it daily. Work it like an inmate in the movie Shawshank Redemption and chip away till you get to your Zihuatanejo. You hear me??? Daily. How? Have your plan written out and easily accessible to you through your phone. When you feel like slipping or feel unmotivated- read your plan and REALize that by doing it, it will become REAL.
B. Good on you for realizing your goals aren’t the most practical for you at this moment. It’s not about losing 50 pounds in 30 days… It’s about getting a handle on things you can control and setting achievable goals that keep you motivated to set even more aggressive goals later- when you are ready.
Tomorrow is February 1st and it’s the perfect reason to start again and this time with a realistic goal. Here are examples of realistic goals that can start someone on the right track:
- I will join a gym and work out with a trainer 1-2x a week.
- I will begin by walking 30mins each day at lunch.
- I will buy and READ The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet to Your Own Unique Body Chemistry and learn more about eating the right foods for me.
Once you have stuck to your realistic goal for 30 days, add to it! The key is to get started with something easy so that you can feel good and successful, motivating you to continue. Now go to answer A.
2. Figure out what motivates you. Is it looking sexy like Beyonce or Hugh Jackman? Or is it being super bad-ass like The Rock. Now don’t judge yourself in a negative light, now or ever. Looking and feeling good about yourself is the final product and that is only a good thing. However you get there, whether it is motivated by vanity or the pain of living unhealthy to the point where disease and infirmity are knocking at your door- find your motivation.
So do you know what it is? Great! Now carry it with you. Get a picture of the thing and remind yourself every time you get tempted or lazy as to why you are committed to your goal. For example, I know of a client who keeps a picture of his aunt, uncle, and dad who all got Type II Diabetes and lost part of their extremities (legs, toes) and life to remind him that not only does he want to keep his fingers and toes, he wants to live. Guess what- that man is healthy.
1. Be prepared. Prepare your meals. Prepare your running shoes. Prepare your healthy books to read. Prepare. Prepare. Prepare. Why? Because when you are prepared you have the tools to succeed- correct? Remember in school, you prepared for a test, then you got a pretty good grade! You didn’t prepare- you had a panic attack! So just to repeat one more time, PREPARE.
- Make your food Sunday evening for Mon-Weds. Prepare Weds night for Thurs-Sat. etc.
- Have your gym bag in your car or rent a locker and please keep clean gym clothes inside- please.
- Have a healthy, motivational, good for your brain, and keeps you motivated book on your phone. I love Kindle. ^_^ Want some book suggestions- go to my favorite stuff!
Good luck and keep up the health and happiness! And spread it whenever possible 😀