Thank goodness that Pyramid scheme is over- can we say, one-size does not fit all?!?! Anyhow, the USDA has come up with “My Food Plate” which in comparison to the old model, is a step up because they have reevaluated their original thoughts of portion control, but again, it’s still a generalized, blanket plan that does NOT do justice to the individuals we all are. Haven’t we learned our lesson? The last blanket meal plan created more obesity, heart disease, and a score of other metabolic conditions from when it was implemented in 1992 to when it was replaced in 2011. See it in picture, from the Center for Disease Control:
I’m no medical expert, but I can read and add, and in plain American lingo, that is some messed-up sh*t! Granted it was not all the fault of the government who wanted Americans to eat 55-75% carbohydrates, ALL from grains 6-11 times a day, the obesity epidemic was and is fueled by:
- The pervasive introduction of high fructose corn syrup (HFCS) in the American diet since 1975. HFCS replaced normal sugar, mainly because it was cheaper and made certain foods more affordable, i.e. processed foods and soft drinks. Now let’s connect the dots, the government wants you to eat 55-75% carbohydrates, of which they are not talking about vegetables (a carbohydrate), but are only talking about consuming things such as bread, rice, pasta, and cereal group (6-11 servings a day). Hello?!?! These are all (except rice) PROCESSED foods which are now mostly made with HFCS! Because this post is not about why HFCS is bad for you, click and read/watch here for the low-down…
- The almost 20 years of the food industry propaganda that low-fat foods are good for you and are a “healthy” alternative to the regular fat in foods. More dots, so now you’re eating even more processed carbohydrates because you have to process a food product even more to remove the fat! The real enemy is trans-fat, and guess where it resides… processed foods.
- Click and learn about FAT 101; Know the Good from the Bad
- According California State University Northridge, the average American household watches almost 7 hours of TV a DAY.
- Want to know how well you are doing in your fitness commitment? Click here and see where you are in the States of Change Model.
OK, good stuff to know, but now let’s get back to our post topic; so how can we work with today’s new plate criteria? Make it your own:
Let’s be clear on what are in each of these food groups, also known as your macronutrients:
- Protein (the building blocks of life) are all animal meats, legumes, eggs, and dairy products. *Click here and read why SOY products are NOT a healthy alternative*
- Fats (are not all created equal) Click here and READ why Saturated Fats ARE GOOD FOR YOU.
- Carbohydrates (energy source, but just enough to keep YOUR body happy and healthy) fruits, vegetables, and SOME starch and sprouted grains.
I have read my fair share of nutrition and health text books, but none have resonated more with me than The Metabolic Typing Diet by William Scott and Trish Fahey. The book not only uses the latest science to debunk this one-size-fits-all food, it also helps you figure out what foods are right for YOU. I cannot do the book justice by providing you with a summary of the why, what, and how– it’s best you read the book and take the Metabolic Typing Test yourself. With that said, throughout my website you will find information, criteria, and techniques I use to implement the Metabolic Typing Diet in my healthy lifestyle.
Additionally, I also incorporate the Paleo Diet philosophy in my eating habits because I see it as complimentary. In brief, the Paleo method is about choosing lean meats (grass fed, free range), whole foods (No GMO), with zero processed foods– ideal on any ones food plate! There are various versions of Paleo, some pretty rigid, but for me, I do my best to minimize my grain and processed food intake because hey, nobodies perfect! What is most important to me though is what MY plate looks like, which happens to be the mix-type one!
Check out the RECIPES and REVIEWS on my site on how I live the Metabolic Typing Diet way. Now click here to learn what happens after you finish your plate…
Comments are cool! Kindly, leave them below! Thank you!